Friday, April 19, 2013

How To: Wash Your Makeup Brushes

Hey everyone! I'm taking a break from studying for my finals to write this post, so it's going to be a quick one.

I was getting e-mails back when I first started my blogs to do a "how to wash my makeup brushes" video. I thought this was a great idea, so naturally, I added it to my journal of things to do. I finally got around to filming it the other day so I'll have that video linked below.


I feel like I've found the perfect recipe to give my brushes a really good deep cleaning; extra virgin olive oil, dish soap (gentle on hands), and water. This combination does not only work amazing, but it's super affordable and most people have these products lying around at home! The EEOO helps keep the brushes soft while the gentle dish soap cleanses out all the bacteria/makeup buildup. If you own synthetic brushes (i.e. not made from real hair) then I would suggest to stick with only the dish soap. There is no need for the EEOO and it may ruin the brushes. 


When I dry my brushes, I lay them down on their sides. The best way to dry brushes would be to let them hang upside down (which they have devices specifically made for that), but I don't own one and in my honest opinion I think this way works fine. The reason you want to lay them on their side or upside down is because you don't want any water running down the the brush into the part where the glue keeps the bristles in place. The water can break down the glue which will cause your brushes to start shedding and eventually lose their bristles entirely. Some of my MAC brushes I have owned since 2008 and they still work perfectly fine as a brand new brush!

Check out my techniques on how to wash them in the video below.

xx,
A


No comments:

Post a Comment